Same same but different

18:03 Unknown 0 Comments

I was shopping for a new hand blender and I find myself in a sea of same-ness if that is even a word. I got quite upset with the whole process and I just need it get it off my chest.

Just make it work and last
I used to have a Philips blender. The glass jar had a screw-on plastic base ring that also locks into the heavy motor base. After blending, the jar doesn't unlock from the motor base, unless I screw the glass jar out of the plastic ring, resulting in a complete mess over my kitchen counter. I had the blender for only a year using it perhaps a total of 5 times before the problem started to occur.

So I finally settled on a new hand blender from Kenwood. The blender had raving reviews online. While I am happy with the convenience and diversity of usage, I came across another design flaw. The cover of the separate chopper accessory has a gap somewhere in its construction that after one wash in the dish washer, some liquid got trapped in it.

So why can't we just design it well and make it last. My mum's kitchen appliances have outlived all of mine and she cooks on a daily basis! She bought them in the late 80s and back then they were 3 times the price of what it is today. Yet I think I have spend more on a simple blender than she has in the last 5 years.

Ease up on the professional endorsements
So while I was researching for a new hand blender, I started to notice that almost every brand has some form of professional endorsement. Philips has a partnership with Jamie Olivier, Dualit with Monica Galetti and Sage with Heston Blumenthal.

For some, this marketing strategy might work but I do question the effectiveness. Would it be better to invest the money in better products?

Retro Craze
There seems to be a craze for everything retro looking when it comes to kitchen appliance. Was it is inspired by Smeg's fancy refrigerators, I am not sure.

I understand that form follows function and there is very little room to play within the overall shape of a hand blender. However if form follows function, wouldn't it be better for the hand blender to have an ergonomic shape? Even bicycle handles have more variety. How about drawing some inspiration from there.

The truth is ugly
Unfortunately many companies are under the pressure to meet their quarterly sales targets that we almost forget that these products are used by real people. Unfortunately it is sometimes even cheaper to buy a new device than to repair the broken one. Also, there are not many countries equipped with the right value chain for recycling the broken appliances, hence they mostly end up in the ground somewhere.

Can you imagine a day when investors gets their dividends based on consumer satisfaction and impact on environment rather than sales performance? Perhaps I am over simplifying the situation and being naive but wouldn't that be the answer to our environmental problems as well? Definitely something to ponder upon...

0 comments :