A tourist's guide to ordering drinks at a Singapore coffee shop

23:00 Unknown 0 Comments

It has been a while since my last post and I have no excuse. My only defence is my new found inspiration from my trip home to Singapore.

While I love my cappuccino, I do enjoy the local coffee shop coffee at a quarter of the price. Firstly, there are a few things one needs to understand. There are no cows in the country and therefore milk is imported and fresh milk is not really fresh. So the replacement is either evaporated milk or condensed milk. Also, by default drinks come with sugar.

So to make an order, you have to do math. You take the most basic word Kopi and add words to it to say what you want:
Kopi:         condensed milk + sugar
+ Kosong: no sugar
+Si:           evaporated milk instead of condensed milk 

If you get lost, here's an info graph:

If you navigate from left to right, top to bottom, the sweetness of the drink increases. If you replace Kopi with Teh, you can the an assortment of tea drinks.


It took me a while to create this but it has been quite satisfying. Enjoy.



0 comments :