Authenticity or modernity?

18:27 Unknown 0 Comments

I finally watched the movie The Hundred Foot Journey. I didn't think it was that good. I thought the father of the main character was hilarious though. Towards the end of the movie, the plot or rather lack of one was very predictable where the famous chef returns home to his lover and family with the goal get the two star Michellin restaurant to three stars. Some people can't stay contented with what they've got...

Oops did I spoil the movie for those who haven't watched it? Sorry.

Anyway the point I wanted to bring about is that for people like the chef, or me or those who no longer live at home, I think food plays a bigger role than just sustenance or pleasure. When you taste something that reminds you of home, the emotions can overwhelm you. It is no longer about how well the plate is presented or how balance the tastes is.

Yet in today's competitive world, restaurants are fighting for the best in innovation. Is there still room for our childhood favorites in this race? On another hand, being stubborn doesn't encourage progress. I love the conversation between Madam Mallory (Helen Mirren) & Hassam (Manish Dayal) in the movie that goes:

Helen Mirren: Why change a recipe that is works for 200 years?
Hassam: Maybe because sometimes 200 years is long enough?

So where does the balance lies?

0 comments :